MaraltoOceanside vacation rentals in Uruguay
La Pedrera, Rocha
New 3-bed, 2-bath beach vacation rentals in beautiful La Pedrera, built and equipped to the highest standards
Maralto comprises five rental homes in a private compound steps from two of the best beaches in Rocha. The spacious top level rentals have ocean views from inside and out. The ground floor rentals have direct access to the gardens.
They were designed to enjoy indoors and outdoors to the maximum. Therefore, the exterior deck is covered so you’ll be able to sit outdoors, barbecue and enjoy the view any time of the year. Inside, the professionally-decorated open plan living and dining area has huge windows and an open fire place.
As you may know, La Pedrera is unique in Rocha. Despite being a small seaside town, it has a number of restaurant options open all year round and multiple gourmet venues during high season. But you may never want to leave your beach home. Especially with the owners’ tips for where to buy great beef, fresh fish and organic veggies.
The owners Magdalena and Federico, Montevideo born-and-bred, are passionate travelers and they want to share their favorite Uruguayan beach destination. In fact, their own beachhouse is across the road.
Note: Guru’Guay usually only recommends businesses that we have checked out ourselves personally and love. Maralto is currently under construction so obviously we haven’t been able to experience it as we normally would before recommending, however we didn’t want you to miss out. So, we have 1. personally visited and toured the site 2. interviewed the owners in their property next door which was built and furnished to similar standards and 3. when we experience Maralto, we’ll update our recommendation at that time.
What you should know
- Everything is walking distance. The rentals are yards from the ocean and two blocks from the high street. The owners love to holiday here because at the end of a two-week holiday they may have just put 20 miles on their car
- Each rental has three bedrooms, two full baths and large private terrace with outdoor grill
- Comfortable living room with fireplace and 50” TV
- Fully-equipped kitchen including dishwasher
- Good stable wifi (Magdalena and Federico assure me they regularly work remotely)
- Landscaped gardens with a communal firepit and nighttime lighting
- Services include maid service twice a week, self-service laundry, onsite parking and caretaker
- A fifth property is a renovated stone house with a private garden and no views.
What’s close by
- On the beach La Pedrera has two beaches – El Desplayado is great for families. El Barco is frequented by singles and younger folks. Both have waves.
- Surf school run by an English-speaking prof, Guillermo. His dog Lulu is also a surfer!
- Yoga classes & horseriding Just talk to Magdalena.
- Restaurants The owners will give you a list of their favourites. They love Petisco which this year is doing delivery, Mar for gourmet and Lajau for seafood.
- Cabo Polonio National Park One of Uruguay’s most incredible beauty and wildlife spots 30 minutes by car
- La Paloma Nearest town with ATM and gas station 10 minutes
- Punta del Diablo Hippie chic fishing town 1.25 hours
- Santa Teresa National Park Colonia fort, botanical garden and some of Uruguay’s best beaches 1.5 hours
In addition, The Guru’Guay Guide to Uruguay includes great background and recommendations for a Rocha holiday
High season 300-400 USD per day, 1 week min
Low season 100-200 USD, 2-night minimum
Prices vary. Consult for significant discounts for longer stays and shoulder season.
Call +598 098 115 960 (Magadalena speaks good English)
Photos and renders: Maralto and Federico Gonzalez
Want to know about other hidden gems in Uruguay?
Here are some of our recent finds.
Your suite with private deck, close to secluded beaches, next to Pdd’s best restaurant. Probably the best value of all Punta del Diablo hotels.
Dreaming of a hotel on the beach in Uruguay? Your private terrace looks directly to the ocean at this magical boutique hotel nestled amongst the dunes.
El Mingus is a one of the best restaurants in Montevideo–cool, contemporary, with the intimacy of an old-school bar. We love the great food & live music.
The Port Market–Disneyland for carnivores–is not to be missed but avoid the tourist traps! At Veronica’s, you’re guaranteed great steak & Uruguayan asado.
A French bistro with probably the longest wine list in the city and multiple by-the-glass choices is one of the best new Montevideo restaurants by far.
One of the very best hotels near Punta del Este, whose well-connected owners will give you access to the secrets of Uruguay’s coast most can only dream of.
One of the best seafood restaurants in Punta del Diablo & open all year round. Family-run, it’s minutes from the ocean & specialises in home-made pastas.
Your chance to taste some of the best Uruguay wines at the hand of one of the top three wine-makers in Uruguay at his home and winery minutes from downtown.