san pedro de timoteUruguay's most historic country hotel
Alejandro Gallinal, Florida
Uruguay’s best-known countryside hotel, San Pedro de Timote is a delicious place to relax by the pool, horse-ride, take long strolls, or settle down in front of a roaring fire in one of grand lounges. It’s ideal for children and couples.
As an estancia San Pedro de Timote was the pride of Uruguay for two hundred years. Nowadays as Uruguay countryside hotel, it has thirty rooms in what was the main house and the hostelry arranged around a central shady quad. Hotel staff include a gaucho born on the premises.
It’s just a 2.5 hour drive from Montevideo though you feel that you have come much further back in time.
Guest rooms are spacious with antique furniture. Decor is simple. The highlight are the bedroom fireplaces which are lit in the winter. The rooms I stayed in had large bathrooms with lovely pedestal sinks, extra large showers and tons of piping hot water.
There’s a daily menu of activities available at the front desk to plan your day. There was so much to do, you may fear you’ll never get to the poolside (you will).
In addition, there are great seasonal activities that you can participate in or choose to observe including birdwatching, a June Chocolate and Wine Weekend and typical country festivities such as the Yerra in July and sheep-shearing in September-October.
An ideal retreat especially in winter. Limited internet, antique writing desks and a mysterious old library will get your creative juices flowing.
- Full board – breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner– all inclusive except for drinks
- Two outdoor swimming pools and one small indoor
- Lounges with leather sofas and huge fireplaces
- Horse-back rides for an hour every morning and afternoon
- Games room with table-tennis, table football, pool and a large screen TV with comfy sofas
- All activities
- Rabbits and guinea pigs for petting
- Egg collecting from the on-site chicken coup
- Visits to see lambs and calves including births in the spring
- Fishing (the fish are thrown back)
- Four-person boat for paddling
What you should know
- San Pedro is very popular with Uruguayan families during school holidays and on weekends – an ideal time to take your kids if you want them to make new friends
- To have the entire hotel to yourself, come off season (spring and autumn are especially picturesque) and during weekdays
San Pedro de Timote
Cerro Colorado, Alejandro Gallinal, Departamento de Florida
Support local businesses by booking direct on the San Pedro de Timote website