… and not like a tourist. This interactive map loads really fast. Use it to travel by bus or on foot and get around Montevideo like a local.
Find your bus/plan your walking route in Montevideo
Como ir is a beautifully-designed, fast website provided by the city government which shows you how to get anywhere in Montevideo on foot or by bus.
You’ll need to read some Spanish but really very basic.
Even if you don’t read Spanish, the site video demo is useful to see how to use the site. For instance you’ll see that you must type the first letters of the address and then wait for the text predictor to show you street options to select from.
To use the site
Under origen y destino (starting point and end point)
1. Open the first drop down box (tipo de ubicación ie type of place). Choose from:
- esquina o dirección – to search by street name and number (dirección) or cross streets, type in the street name under calle, and the cross street under esquina/numero
- lugar de interés – place of interest, under which you can sub-search place types (tipo de lugar) like
- Cultura (place of cultural interest)
- Deporte (sports venue)
- Espacio libre (open air venue eg a park)
- Monumento (monument)
- Playa (beach)
- Calle – street, if you just have the street name and not street name and number of your destination, or to find where a street is located
- Linea de omnibus – bus line, handy if the 32 passes your hotel door and you’d like to see where it would take you
2. Click on marcar origen to mark starting point and marcar destino for your end point or destination. You can also drag the start and end pins onto your map if it’s easier that way.
3. Click ir en ómnibus to be shown the bus routes. Click on the bus options in resultados to see the bus routes appear on the map.
Click ir caminando to see a route to walk.
4. You can also see schedules (horarios).
I really recommend watching the site video demo before you start. Even watching it with the sound off it makes good sense.